Work has taken a rough turn lately. There’s been a lot of activity now that the warm weather has set in and winter is finally over. It seems like we are constantly moving. If we aren’t responding to our own calls, we are out covering other stations while they are fighting fires. Add to the mix the problems we’ve had with our truck lately and the multiple apparatus change overs and you have some pretty beat firefighters. We are either flat-out busy or insanely slow. Feast or famine.

Last night was a tough one. This is some good footage of a dwelling fire we responded to right after the start of our shift. The heavy black smoke was visible from our station so we knew it was on when we pulled out. What makes the first video interesting is that it captures the time before our arrival. This illustrates why firefighters always talk about how seconds count. Imagine you are waiting for us to arrive as you watch your house, your possessions and possibly your loved ones go up in smoke. When you have an administration that gambles with fire protection like the Nutter administration does, this is what we are talking about.


This fire was intense from the outset. In the second video you get a good idea of the tremendous damage done to this frame, twin dwelling. They are both a total loss. It was quite literally all we could do to keep the fire from jumping the alley on either side. The tight streets limit the amount of manpower we can effectively bring in. After the initial alarm, other companies would have long hose stretches juts to get into service. This takes time and manpower. So it was really up to the first alarm companies to get control of this fire before we needed reinforcements. As usual the firefighters did an outstanding job. No one lost their life although one firefighter was taken to the hospital with a back injury. He should be ok. If you look closely you will see me on the roof. I am the guy on the right poking at some of the eves where we uncovered a hotspot the engine crews quickly douse.

Its about twelve hours later and I am finally ready to get some sleep. See ya.



  1. Old NFO says:

    Yep, and it looked like y’all were there about 2 minutes after the start of the filming… But by that time, it was fully involved, and looked like it was starting to ‘puff’ out the front windows… Glad no serious injuries occurred.

  2. Bob G. says:

    God, you saw the fire from YOUR station (Castor)?

    Orthodox St isn’t exactly “a spit and a slide” from where you’re at.

    And geez, is that thing going…what the hell was FUELING it, anyway?
    (someone store tires in there?)

    Milnor IS one of those narrow streets…hell, EVERY street around that area is a 2-lane street that’s ONLY 1 1/2 lanes WIDE.

    Glad there were no fatalities, and hope that smoke-eater recovers froms his back injury soon.

    Roll safe.

%d bloggers like this: