WEST PHILADELPHIA – October 19, 2010 (WPVI) — Firefighters had to rescue three people trapped in a house fire in West Philadelphia. The blaze broke out just before midnight on Monday, in a house at the corner of Spring Garden and Preston streets. When firefighters arrived they discovered that three people were trapped in the burning house. They managed to reach them and pull them to safety. There are no reports of serious injuries. It took about a half hour to put out the fire. The blaze downed electrical wires in the area. PECO is on the scene making repairs. So far, there’s no word on a cause. Link
A fire in your house will generate enough superheated smoke and gasses to kill you in seconds. It may take a few minutes for you to die, but after you get a few short breaths of the deadly, toxic smoke generated by all the plastic that surrounds us in our modern homes, your fate will be sealed. First your eyes, nose and throat will burn, and you won’t be able to see. You will struggle to breath but your lungs will reject the poisonous gasses that have replaced the oxygen. The carbon monoxide will confuse you, the heat will overwhelm your ability to react. Within a minute or so you will pass out, coughing and choking. The only thing between you and the end, if you are lucky is the quick response by the fire department. As in this case, a point lost on the local media ONCE AGAIN!
None of the above happened to these people because they were rescued by firefighters. Lucky for these people, their local fire company was’t part of Mayor Nutters “rolling brownouts”. Their closest fire station wasn’t closed as part of some cost cutting scheme when needed most. These people will get a second chance at life because THE FIREFIGHTERS WERE THERE WHEN NEEDED.
No thanks to our Mayor. Nice job fellas.