PORT RICHMOND – July 13, 2010 — It was a very solemn scene in the 2700 Block of East Madison outside the row home where the fire broke out 3 weeks ago. About 75 relatives, friends and neighbors gathered near a makeshift memorial after learning that yet another child victim has died from the fire which was ruled accidental, the result of faulty wiring. Related Content More: Send a Breaking News alert More: Report a typo More: Sign up for 6abc Newsletters More: Action News Slideshows “You have to hold on to faith cause that’s all people have right now,” said Mia Gina, aunt. The three Budzilo children, 1-year-old Jake, 3-year-old Nicholas and 5-year-old Christopher were trapped in a 2nd floor bedroom where the fire broke out. Their mother Debbie Proud, whose 7 months pregnant, was critically injured trying to rescue the children as was their 50-year-old grandfather, Eugene Budzilo. Both the mother and grandfather survived, but 3-year-old Nicholas died a day later.
Tuesday afternoon, 1-year-old Jake also succumbed to his injuries. “Bad enough for them to have to bury one, but to bury two? Two? No,” said Cheryl Walizykowski, aunt. The children’s father and mother were too emotionally distraught to attend the vigil. Meanwhile the children’s grandfather, who survived the fire, finally gathered enough strength to show up. Budzilo, still wearing bandages on his right hand and arm, seem numbed as he was comforted by family and friends. “Blaming himself, it’s not his fault, he tried, he tried his best. He did what any grandfather would do. Get in there and get these kids out. The mother did, everybody tried. It was an accident,” said Cheryl. In the last 3 weeks, a number of organizations have donated money to help the family. Next week, a radio station is sponsoring a benefit for the surviving child, Christopher who family members say remains in a rehab facility and is making a remarkable turnaround. “He knows that Nicholas was gone, so he went in to see Jake to say goodbye today,” said Cheryl. Funeral arrangements for Jake whose 2nd birthday would have been next month are still pending.
ABC 6 (WPVI) TV in Philadelphia doesn’t mention the Nutter administrations plans to start “rolling brownouts” of fire stations on their web site – or on their newscast – but they run this story. In my opinion WPVI TV (ACTION NEWS) is the most rotten TV news program on the air. They never report in any detail on the impact of public safety cuts, yet never miss an opportunity to cover a tragedy. (THINK DUK BOAT) Where are the tough questions for the Mayor from their intrepid reporters? Where is Vernon Odom, Dan Quellar or David Henry on this issue of vital public importance? NOWHERE. Close a library and they have the place surrounded with satellite trucks. Close a firehouse and it doesn’t rate a paragraph on their website.
They are simply disgusting.